Monday 30 March 2015

St. Helens Farm



A little bit of a different post from me today, as you may be aware I am currently *trying* to have a more healthy balanced diet, so today I thought I would let you know one of the ways I am trying to achieve this.

St Helens Farm got in contact with me a while ago and asked if I would like to receive a hamper full of goodies made from goats milk. Other than fruit and veg, dairy is also really important for your diet; calcium is good for your bones, magnesium is good for muscle function and more.

So with me being somewhat lactose intolerant to everything apart from cheese (thank goodness I am okay with cheese) I was a little apprehensive in trying out goats milk - after doing a little bit of research I found various sources stated goats milk is easier to digest than cows milk and it was also lactose intolerant friendly. So I just had to say yes.

The hamper arrived in a Cool Bag and was full to the brim with lots of goodies to try along with a little bearded goat beanie. Oh the little things.

Previously I really struggled with drinking cows milk as I always found it made me feel unwell after. I received Skimmed, Semi Skimmed and Full Fat milk. I tried the milk first and found there to be a distinctive goats milk taste. This might put some people off but it takes some time getting used to. If you are lactose intolerant you will get what I mean by saying it didn’t feel heavy on the stomach, it definitely is more easier to digest goats milk than cows.

On a side note, the cat absolutely loved it and kept begging for more. Don’t worry, I researched before giving it to him, it is fine in moderation and easier for them to digest than cows milk. (I don’t know how this post has turned into me talking about cats but there you go!)

I was able to try out the Live Natural and Low Fat yoghurt. We really enjoyed these with fruit, cereal and also in smoothies. The distinctive taste isn’t noticeable at all in these yoghurts and they feel very light on the stomach.

I wasn’t too keen on the flavoured yoghurts but others enjoyed them. The yoghurt itself was quite thick with a fruity later at the bottom (which I loved). I just  found the texture of the yoghurt part odd, it was almost mousse like and there was a distinctive aftertaste.

My absolute favourite has to be the cheese. The Mild and Creamy, and Mature cheese were so yummy and I have since purchased another one of each. I really enjoy popping these in salads and also heated up cheese and tomato toasties. I also made Grilled Cheese and Courgette rolls the other night and they went down a storm. The texture of the cheese is quite smooth and when paired with other foods it really brings out all the distinctive flavours. I have been using the cream cheese in pastas.

There are so many recipes online that use goats cheese so I will definitely be trying those out and if they turn out well I might even include them in a future blog post.

I haven’t had butter in years so this was a little treat. Nothing compares with this butter spread on freshly popped warm toast! It is really creamy and so, so delicious. I didn’t notice a difference between this and regular butter.

Overall, I really enjoyed these products especially the cheese, plain yoghurt and butter. I feel the distinctive goats milk taste of the other items put me off a little but I’m happy I have come across the brand and have already repurchased a few of the products! Products are available in supermarket nationwide.

Hope you enjoyed this review, let me know if you have tried anything from the range and what you think of these kind of posts, would you like to see more?

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love goats cheese, but still haven't tried any other goat products, definitely need to give this a go! I wonder how it affects baking? The grilled cheese and courgette rolls sounds amazing.

    Erin xx Islandbell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grilled cheese and courgette rolls were amazing! Already planning to make them again :) I have seen a few reviews online where people did bake with the butter, I don't think it was any different so will hopefully give it a try next time :)

      Delete
  2. A) I am also trying to be healthy at the mo
    B) I love goats,
    So this little hamper would be perfect for me :)
    I think it's packaging is quite cute and 'old skool' which is cute
    x Tink Jayne x
    P.S. Lovely Blog

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment! Thank you for taking the time to read my blog ♡

Blog design by aleelilydesigns