Saturday 10 May 2014

Diy Paper Peonies

White room, little hints of pastel pink, peonies... yes I do sit on Pinterest a little too much. Peonies are one of my all time favourite flowers, they are so pretty and the fact they come in different colours  and variations means that you can always change up the feel of a room. I have never come across any real peonies so I was then on the hunt for a few fake ones. The ones I saw weren't the style/colour I was after and also they looked a little tacky so I thought why not make my own, not only will it be cheaper but knowing you have made them your self makes them a little more special.
I apologise in advance for the lighting in the photos, the weather was terrible today but I really wanted to get this post up after so many requests! Think I might invest in some soft box lighting.
____
You will need:
Tissue paper (cheapest I have found - £1.45 for 10 sheets)
PVA glue
Florist wire (or bamboo skewers)
Scissors
___
For the flower heads you will need 2 different sized circles, the biggest should be 3 inches, and then the smaller one should be around 3cm smaller. (In all honesty I didn’t use measurements) With the tissue paper fold over the squares twice over and then cut a curve round the edge to make the circular shape.
___
You will need 8 bigger circles and 6 small circles.
Next you need to cut scalloped shapes on the edges. Then in order to make the peonies less flat and more textured you need to crumple them up, just be careful though as the tissue paper is quite delicate.
____
Now to make the flower we will start from bud to end, so take your wire and make a small hook shape on the end in order to hold the flower. (or if using a bamboo skewer put a small ball of blue tack over the end). Next feed through one of the smaller circles and apply a dot of glue to the top of the wire. Twist the circle around the top of the wire until a bud is formed. Repeat this with the other 3 smaller circles.
___
Now on to the main flower use all of the bigger circles and use the same method as before, ensure you keep a hold of the bottom of the flower so the wire doesnt come loose. It is hard to photograph this but just slide the paper through the wire and add a dot of glue to the bottom part of the bud, then twist the circle around the wire.
____
To even the flower out you need to add 2 more of the smaller circles around the bottom, and once again use the same method as before. Slide the circle up the wire, add a dot of glue to the center and twist.
______
Now your flower is complete, you can leave the flower as is with the meal wire or like me you can paint it green, although to be honest painting it green was a little pointless as once in the glass it isn’t visible.
I hope you enjoyed this post, I love the way the flowers turned out and they are so simple and easy to make. They complete the room. Let me know what you think in the comments.

24 comments:

  1. Wow these look gorgeous, fab tutorial :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty do these look! I might have to try making my own if I've got the time :D

    Yazmin xx
    www.yazzyscorner.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing, I love peonies so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MiglÄ—, peonies are so pretty!

      Delete
  4. I love peonies and this is awesome and so easy-definitely going to try this DIY!

    http://whatididonwednesday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really good idea! I'm not very good at keeping real plants alive XD

    Cat | LilacGhosts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Ah I see what you mean. Fresh flowers need to be replaced so often - these just need a quick dust once in a while and they stay as pretty!

      Delete
  6. These are adorable! :) ox

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look fabulous , great tutorial , tempted to make myself :)
    Melissa | The Inked Blonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you should, they are so easy to make!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! I'm going to have to make these to brighten up my bedroom - not sure how they'll go with Boyfriend's war game posters, but it'll be interesting to find out!
    Beth
    swallowsandskylines.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow these are so beautiful! x

    www.amuchprettierpuzzle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are adorable! I've been looking for some beautiful faux flowers for a while for a jug vase I have. May have to try and make these :) so simple. You make it sound simple anyway, let's see what happens when I try, ha!

    Gem x
    gemsi2011.blogspot.com
    @GemsGemz86

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are so cute!

    www.dandelionashes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these! So simple and cute :)

    Faye | freckles-and-all.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful! So simple :) I would love to make some of these - I'd like to try them with fabrics maybe?

    www.ceejayell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look amazing! Thanks for sharing how to make them, I can't wait to get started!!! xxx

    Pink Polka Dot & Popcorn

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look incredible!

    Stephanie
    http://missstephanieusher.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3436251
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! I'll be giving these a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are a really good idea for dinner parties or for weddings!
    I will try them, but probably won't turn out looking as good as yours, these are ace!

    Emma Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are absolutely adorable, definitely gonna try these out ^-^

    Thuy
    imthuyvu.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment! Thank you for taking the time to read my blog ♡

Blog design by aleelilydesigns